Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:35:53 -0500
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: a rack to put a canoe on the top and Eurovan
Comments: To: KD Skinner <debug@PREMIERNET.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

To keep the straps from humming, put a few twists in the straps(so it looks like a drill bit on each side) and that will sudue, if not eliminate the hum. As for using the foam blocks, they are okay for short trips, but major highway mileage and cross winds will have you soiling yourself as you watch the boat blow around on top of the camper top. I can't imagine anyone investing that kind of money in a vehicle and running the risk of having a truley lethal weapon(called canoe) blow off the top of their vehicle, damage their own new camper, and have the boat bouncing down the highway, going through someone elses windshield, causing a serious accident and injuries and or death. I woldn't want to sit in the witness chair for that one folks. BTW, I'm curious as to how you run the side straps over the boat and attach them where? Running them under open windows would prevent the sliding door from opening, unless your'e running them inbetween the body and the sliding door and the aill chew up the door sealing gasket. Unless your'e using the whwitewater-oriented cam straps(and not the rinky dink plastic coated metal hook and cheapo ratchet type straps), you're asking for fdailure as well. I'm curious as to what kind of canoe is being hauled also. Is it a$1,000 Mad River Explorer or a $300 Coleman(which doesn't really qualify under Webster's definition of "canoe".). I'm levitating off my soap box now. Thank you for your support.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel. ---------- > From: KD Skinner <debug@PREMIERNET.NET> > To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: a rack to put a canoe on the top and Eurovan > Date: Tuesday, April 28, 1998 11:58 AM > > On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 19:33:34 -0400, you wrote: > > >Hi Everybody > > > >I am a new user of the Vanagon list. I found the list very useful for my > >needs. > >I just buy a brand new Eurovan camper with 6V engine. > >I dont have enough mileage to give everybody my first feeling. > >I have a question : Is there somebody who finds a rack to put a canoe on > >the top of an Eurovan ? > >Please give the trade mark of the rack and if possible nay good idea you > >found. > >Thank you for your help!!! > >I'm witing from Canada. Yvan Cloutier cloy808@comnet.ca > > I use foam blocks that I bought at Wal-Mart for my canoe on my 85 GL. > These things work just fine and haven't damaged my top at all. They > only cost about $20.00 U.S. as I remember. I also use nylon webbed > straps running over the canoe and through the Vanagon as well as ropes > on bow and stern of said canoe to keep it on the top of the Vanagon at > highway speeds. Now if I can find a way to keep the straps from > vibrating in the wind I will be a happy person - the loud humming from > the straps can be a little distracting. > > Doug