Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:05:00 EST
From:         HARRIST <HARRIST@ABC.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Crashworthiness
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.com

Hate to be a party pooper, but we vanagoneers should not get too smug about crashworthiness. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration crash tested one of our beloved bricks at 35 mph head-on into a fixed barrier. I obtained the crash footage from the National Crash Analysis Center, which maintains a catalogue of all government crash tests on a website. (Just point your browsers to NHTSA) First, let me tell you that this dummy was not instrumented. Don't ask me why, but I think it has something to do with the relatively low volume of Vanagons that were sold in the states compared with other vehicles. Because that dummy did not have its little accelerometers wired up, we will never know the loads that the pelvis and femur took as that brand new burgundy van crumpled into the fixed barrier. However, I am assuming they were significant based on the lack of crush zone in front of our feet. But there's a reason they shoot these tests at 1000 frames a second with a dozen or so cameras mounted above, below, inside and beside the crash vehicle. It's so you can see with your own eyes the forces that are transmitted to the vehicle and the dummies inside. If you order a vhs cassette of this crash test, you will see what I saw: the face of the dummy in the drivers seat smacks the steering wheel with incredible force. This, even though the dummy was buckled with shoulder and lap belt. I have talked with auto safety engineers about what I saw and the best explanation they came up with was a condition called excessive spoolout. That is to say, the inertial locking mechanism in the shoulder belt allowed too much belt to spool out. This, of course, allowed the violent faceplant into the steering wheel. Again, without instrumentation, we do not know the G forces applied to the face of that dummy as it struck the steering wheel. But my own crude frame-by-frame analysis of the footage indicates the dummy's face was not decelerating. If anything, it was accelerating toward the steering column. (Ouch) This is not an unknown condition. Back in 1979, a Honda sedan had excessive spoolout and it performed miserably in the government's New Car Assessment Program 35-mph head-on crash test. Honda engineers went to work on their belt mechanism -- they also redesigned their steering column -- and presto, three years later the Honda performed admirably. My guess is that VW never had to redesign their belt system because the Vanagon was never tested under the New Car Assessment Program. (The government only began NCAP testing light trucks and minivans in the mid 1990s. Still, no Vanagon or Eurovan testing, to my knowledge) I don't want to scare anyone. We take risks every time time we get out of bed in the morning. But I thought some of you might want to know.

Stew Harris harrist@abcnews.com