Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:57:07 -0700
From:         Robert Lilley <vwvanman@MAILEXCITE.COM>
Subject:      More Power to the Wasserboxer
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Ways to increase power to a Wasserboxer engine:

External Changes:

Exhaust System: I have looked at several HP exhaust systems. I think that the stock design is the best I have seen, so far(I will have a custom exhaust made when I rebuild my engine). The main problem is that the HP exhausts DO NOT allow for the engine movement and will eventually crack, their pipes are thin, and the 4 to 1 collector is too short.

The stock headers are bolted on solid to the engine and the muffler is bolted solid to the body. Therefore they both DO NOT Move, BUT the engine does move, thus a problem. The stock has a collector pipe that bolts to the manifold and the CAT that allows for the engine movement with the use of the metal doughnut seals and spring washers on both ends. (This could be the reason for some of the exhaust systems that are developing cracking- the metal doughnut is replaced with a flat gasket and the flexibility is lost resulting in cracks). If you have flat gaskets, replace them with VW metal seals about $7 each, 2 are needed.

1) Change muffler to DynoMax SuperTurbo #17783, have a muffler shop weld up a flange and a tailpipe. 18” case length to cut down on noise NOT performance. 2) Change to a higher flow LEGAL CAT with a 2” ID 3) Add 1.25 ratio rockers. Suggestion: CB Performance 1.25 Rhinos with Rhino swivel feet, solid rocker arms and spacers. (1.4 does not work well with the steep intake ramp on the stock cam, eventually can cause valve damage, according to Webcam tech.) 4) Install Bosch triple electrode plugs. Should burn fuel mix more thoroughly. 5) Install K&N “drop in” air filter. No need to radically modify Stock airbox works good and keeps the water out. 6) Redline transmission oil 7) Synthetic engine oil

Basic Internal engine changes (during a rebuild): 1) BALANCE ALL ROTATING PARTS as a unit, pistons, rods end for end. 2) Modify heads to increase flow. Not too much thought, can be done when doing a head gasket job. 3) Have rods and crank strengthened to prevent breaks (heard this is a common area that is weak area, could be worth it to keep from destroying a newly rebuilt engine)

4) Change to stronger rod bolts and nuts.

My thoughts so far.

VWVanman

Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere! http://www.mailexcite.com