Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:32:47 -0400
From:         Felix Martel <felixm@TOTAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Roof racks for Westies and Eurobagos
Comments: To: malcolm.stebbins@MSVU.Ca, vanagon@vanagon.com

The pop-top is nearly 1/4" thick on the sides, which is about twice the thickness of most fiberglass boxes on trucks. Thule (and Yakima, I think) bars are rated in excess of 100lbs load each. I've carried up to six white-water kayaks (35-45lbs each) at highway speeds and never lost one. I use 1" wide nylon straps with the spring locking cleat. Once tightened, I knot the strap end against the cleat for added safety. You can order them in various lengths from almost anywhere. Canoes tend to catch in the wind much more, so run safety lines from bow and stern to your bumpers in an A pattern to counteract wind yaw. Avoid ratchet straps. I've bent rack bars with them before. It's difficult to judge when they're tight enough and before you know it, you've caved in a boat or bent your rack !

I've been using Thule and Yakima products for over ten years and have yet to find anything that matches their quality and durability. (and no I don't work for them or sell ther products !)

If you're skeptical, go to any outdoors store that sells canoes or kayaks. Odds are they'll recommend one of these products. Don't be fooled by imitations !

Felix

-----Message d'origine----- De : Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.Ca> À : felixm@TOTAL.NET <felixm@TOTAL.NET> Date : 28 avril, 1998 18:45 Objet : Re: Roof racks for Westies and Eurobagos

Felix: Do you think the Westy top and your set up would be strong enought for an aluminum canoe??

Felix Martel wrote: > I have an '86 Syncro Westy and I'm a kayaker. I use a Thule rack with the > tall mounts (#300 I think), 64" bars and gutter replacement plates that bolt > on to the pop-top. That way I can pop the top without removing the boats > (kinda looks like a SCUD launcher !). >