Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Apr 1998 00:28:07 EDT
From:         JordanVw <JordanVw@AOL.COM>
Subject:      READ!!!!: Importing SA Quad Grills -- My Offer (Long)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

In a message dated 98-04-28 20:04:17 EDT, vince_pappalardo@om.cv.hp.com writes:

<< Subject: Importing SA Quad Grills -- My Offer (Long) Author: VINCE PAPPALARDO at HP-Corvallis,om1 Date: 4/24/98 6:18 PM

I talked to a customs broker today who deals with SA routinely. We did a quick calculation on a very complex process to get an estimate of how much it would cost to get 50 grill assys. from the SA dealer to the US. We came up with $1500; if split 50 ways that is $30 per person. There would also have to be related charges to distribute the items to the various list members around the US. I estimate that to be $25 per person. So, for $55 dollars each on top of the cost of the grill, we could do this with out any help from any SA list member.

I will offer my time to work out further details if others are still interested in this (assume the price of the grill is the reported higher price of $155 w/emblem). The way I would structure it would be to get a nonrefundable deposit from each individual to cover the estimated $30 of customs charges (all of this money would go towards the shipping. Any excess balance would be disturbed equally to lower the overall price of the grills. Any debit would need to be made up in the final payment to me). I would use this as the basis to confirm the exact number of grills to be shipped. From there I can come up with an exact price of the grills. I would also seek a local bulk mailing company to distribute them to each of the participants. The final check to me would include the price of the grills, the shipping to the mailing company, and their fee to distribute them.

It sounds complicated but it is the best way I thought of to minimize the risk to me. I also would be open to alternatives to this if anyone has them. I was a participant in one of the group purchase of the heaters and it went smooth enough not to discourage me from organizing this one. So, what do all think? How many are still interested under these or similar terms? Does any one else want to pursue the Germany or Canada routes (If you give me part number I will)? Are there any other members actively pursuing this in any another way for profit or pleasure that would be in conflict with this?

Let me know what you think.

Vince Pappalardo. >>

[message/rfc822]