Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:48:22 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Tarriffs; WAS Re: QUAD ROUND HEADLITE GRILLES
Comments: To: Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

You could always get someone in Canada (say... me!) to order the SA stuff and then export it to the USA if it is cheaper that way.

At 06:51 4/22/98 -0700, Sam Scholten wrote: >---The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM> wrote: >> >> Just recently South African manufacturers in general (textiles, >etc., not >> neccessarily automotive) were complaining about the extremely high >U.S. >> import duties on South African goods (basically a carry over from the >> Apartheid days), which make their goods uncompetitive here. Clinton's >> recent visit there touched on the issue, but no steps have been >taken yet >> to remedy it. > >Even though I am politically left-leaning, which means I often take a >pro-labor stance on many issues, I have to break ranks and discuss >many of the tarriffs we have in the United States. I feel that this is >a direct Vanagon list issue, even if there is no VW content on the >surface. > >The U.S. legislature has either been grossly misguided or extremely >slow-acting on tarriffs. While some might have been justified, such as >negative sanctions addressing human rights problems such as Apartheid, >many are simply separatist bull$#!t. Come on, who isn't pissed off >because of the 1971 tariff against imported trucks? Since then, we >couldn't get the VW single and double cabs unless via Canada. >Generally, all these tarriffs do are alienate potential trade partners >and remove the price-competitiveness from quality imported goods. The >loser is the consumer, and labor groups usually don't see much of a >difference anyway. (I can back this up) > >So, folks, I encourage those of you who agree with this to make >individual efforts, as I intend to, to write to your respective >states' lawmakers in Washington over this. If you don't agree, please >pmail me with your comments. > >Thanks, >Sam >_________________________________________________________ >DO YOU YAHOO!? >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > >

-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 1.6L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDIGN EMAIL --