Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:01:26 -0700
From:         Eric Brown <ebrown@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Camping on HW1
Comments: To: ghamburg <ghamburg@VOM.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

There are literally dozens of spots for people to pull off the road to take pictures of big sur. People are always sleeping at these spots. Just pick a nice one and pop the top. I would pick a spot south of big sur propper for the least likely hood of hassles.

Also for big sur, I strongly recommend seeing the "Big Sur Natives" at the River Inn on Saturday nights from 9:30 to Midnight. You'll want to call the River Inn to see if they'll be playing the night you're coming through. I can't quite describe the Music - perhaps like wild Sufi dancing to Jamacian drumming? Everybody is dancing. An unforgetable experience. Next stop (about 45 minutes south of the River Inn) is the Esselin hot springs. Their sulfer hot springs 50 yards from the crashing pacific waves is open to the public from 1am to 3am everyday for $10. Reservations are required so call 408-667-3047 in advance. Technically, you're not supposed to pop the top in their parking lot but if you pop it at 3am, it's likely nobody's going to say anything. You could also drive down the road and there will be quite a few quick turn outs.

Happy camping, Eric