Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:12:02 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      syncro rollover angle
Comments: To: Tim Smith <smitht@unb.ca>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com, chrisr@interport.net

>More serious point, any ideas on side rollover abilities? Getting into more

I have a side angle indicator in the car. I think I ordered it from Desert Rat or one of those four wheel drive vendors. I get real nervous and careful when it reads 15 degrees. Generally, I stop the vehicle when it reads 20 degrees and I begin building up a road surface on the downhill side so that I cannot exceed 20 degrees. I think that to get a definitive answer, we have to rig up a system to protect the van, and then purposefully see the angle at which it really begins to go over. I have in mind a test involving stretch 'em straps going back to a tree--or a test with a big pile of mattresses on the side on which the van will wish to fall.

Jim Davis and I have had correspondence on this issue, but we have not yet solved it.

Generally speaking, the point at which you become afraid is much, much earlier than the point at which the van will actually go over. So I believe my 20 degree rule is probably much too cautious. On the other hand, 20 degrees is enought to scare the f--k out of you if you try it yourself.

The value of the indicator is that you can tell yourself that things are OK if you have not yet exceeded the 20 degrees. This level of confidence is quite calming and valuable.

Front to back I am not so scared. The worst time was once with Dennis Haynes when we were trying to drive my van up a steeplet hill. As I recall, we were all quite horrified that the van was sitting with the rear hatch near parallel the ground behind us--near vertically in the air, kind of like a dog on its hind legs--and we had everybody come and stand on the front bumper and very gently backed it down. I felt very folish for taking such a risk.

>climbing than I used to, going for the mountain goat feel. Odd when the only >view you have coming off a steep bit is dirt to the top of the window. >Visions on standing it on it's nose. Be nice to traverse a bit every now >and then but I am scared sh*#less of rollover. Had some high tilts, and van >felt very steady, but it's a hell of a thing to 'work up to'. Worry about >differences between pass/drivers side due to the cabinets etc. > >Also have to cut off the tail pipe a bit, getting beaten badly. Think a

The first thing I do with a new muffler is to sawzall the end of the tailpipe off. The tailpipe extender is definitely the ticket. If you design up something that will withstand the heat of the exhaust pipe without melting let me know.

>nice right angle piece of rad hose up the rear a ways might help in water. >Shudder to think what will happen if I stall in deep water and it flows back >into the cat.

Very real problem.