Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:42:12 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Syncro tire size questions
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Currently my Double Cab Syncro has 225R60 16" winter tires on it, this works out to be about 26.7" in diameter. I want to go up to 215R70 16" (28.0") or 225R70 16" (28.5") BFG All-Terrains. The spare tire is the factory Continental 225R60 16" and the distance between the frame rails where the spare tire goes is about 27.5" across. Needless to say it just fits and the larger ATs that I am deciding to get will not fit without the help of a grinder. I know that tire size is very important on a Syncro and that all tires must have the same tred wear and be of the same type.

- Can I keep my Continental spare or do I HAVE to have the same size spare? - If I did have a flat with the larger tires and I HAD to use the smaller spare what whould be the best corner to put it on? - What would be the maximum distance and maximum speed one should do with a smaller spare on the least affected corner?

It is quite interesting to see that Audi only put a donut spare that is obviously smaller than the other tires in my 87 5000S Quattro.

What is the largest and widest size tire that can go on a Syncro? I took the measuring tape out and the tighest spot is the at the front rear trailing arm. Seems like I could go to a 30" diameter tire and just have enough clearance. Width looks like about 245mm or 10" wide tire is the limit. The front tires seem to have plenty of space.

Thanks in advance!

-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 1.6L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDIGN EMAIL --