Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:38:57 -0800
From:         "Kevin J. Turinsky" <turinsky@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      The Ulimate How to Mount Racks on Westies
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi Volks:

I posted this before, but I s'pose we could see it again.

About mounting the rack (Yakima or Thule) to Westie pop tops:

One of the Syncro Westie guys here in Anchortown (I spoke to him, but I can't remember his name - I don't think he's on the List) had a local machine shop fabricate 4 (two for each side) stainless steel raingutter rails. The rails fit in horizontally in the recessed area of the vertical sides of the pop tops. This setup allows for a wide adjustment range of the rack, fore and aft, whilst mounted on the vehicle. Now, for the design of the rail, he took one of Yakima's "bolt-on" rain gutter mounts to the fabricator to use as a pattern for the "Lip" portion of the stainless rail. Therefore, the resulting stainless steel rail has the same "rail" dimension as the Yakima original, yet is LONGER!

You should see this setup. I've seen all kinds of suggestions on the List, and when I saw how this guy did it I was amazed at the simplicity and functionality of his design!

He told me that if he had to do it again he'd make two changes:

1) Make the rail for each side (i.e. driver/passenger) of the pop top, ONE piece instead of two. This would allow for even greater adjustment possibilities, of which he did find necessary. This would be a good idea if you're carrying bikes one day and kayaks the next.

2) Mount ANOTHER plate, equal in length (and width?) to the outside rail, on the INSIDE of the pop top, opposite the outside rail. Stainless mounting hardware, with neoprene and stainless washers, would then pass through both the inner reenforcement plate and the outer "rain gutter rail". This would provide more torsional rigidity to the entire setup. He said the fiberglass is working fine so far (several years now), but having steel on both sides of the pop top would be much better. (Again kayaks)

I hope this is clear enough for y'all. If not, let me know. I'll try to 'splain better.

This is a slick setup! I urge all you rack Volks to explore this option. It'll make you happier, younger, richer, thinner, and better looking!

Kevin...turinsky@juno.com "Anchored, down in Anchorage---Alaska" 61:10:42 North 149:11:11 West Elevation: 101 feet

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]