Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:51:00 EDT
From:         db25 <Douglas_M_BENSEN@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Subject:      Fuel leak fixed
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

This past weekend I finally dropped the tank and fixed the fuel leak that has been plagued me since I've gotten that van on the road. I read the archives and tried to do the tube replacement with the tank in the van, but there was just no way. I highly recommend doing it, because when the tank is down, all the small pieces of tubing, which add to the leak, can be replaced. It wasn't just the cross over tube and grommets that were the problem. Actually the grommet seal was fine, the black plastic tube relaxed on the white plastic "T", which allowed a small leak. If I had a second floor jack life would have been a lot easier. Instead I place a plastic milk crate under the tank, unbolted everything and raised the van. This worked O.K. until it was time to lower the van to install the tank. It was very difficult to make sure all the vent lines were not trapped while everything went together. You guessed it, I had to bring it down a second time because one line was pinched. It went much faster the second time. One thing I highly recommend is installing clamps on the cross over tube fittings. They come from the dealer with what looks like a heat shrunk fit, but it does relax after 10 or 12 years. A trick I learned many years ago while working in a motorcyles shop was to use break cleaner on the rubber parts for assembly. It lubricates the parts and really makes things slip together easily. It wasn't really a bad job, but it did intimidating before I started it. If anyone has any questions about doing the job, feel free to write. It is nice not smelling gas every time I go the pumps. For about $30 in parts and an afternoon, it is worth it.

Doug '86 GL Westy Maryland