Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:04:36 -0400
From:         Patrick Dooley <pdooley@GTE.NET>
Subject:      more rhetoric on accidents
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I have heard most accidents are side/frontal impacts, those in which one of the front corners of the vehicle makes contact with another vehicle. A crash test demonstration on Fox last night pitted a full size F150 against an escort. The escort started to pull out onto a simulated road, and was struck on the front passenger side. I don't see how the passenger in the escort would have survived, since the F150 pushed through the interior compartment and struck the driver. The truck was not hindered by the side impact door beams, basically pushed the glass and window frame into and through the escort. I'm sure the same thing would happen in any small car, which doesn't make me feel very safe in my scirocco. I think the point should be to avoid accidents, and as responsible drivers, we can do a lot to reduce that probability. Seems like some people in large vehicles get an attitude that says "let him hit me, I'll do more damage to him". I watched this happen when my friend went from a tempo to a full size bronco. He went from an impatient driver to a first class ahole. Point is, most accidents are caused by carelessness or plain disregard for safety, and much can done on our part to make driving safer.