Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Apr 1998 18:56:47 -0400
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Walker Super Turbo Muffler
Comments: To: Vanagon Mail List <Vanagon@Vanagon.com>

>This type of muffler will add NO power to the Vanagon, although it will >change the sound. > >I'm not sure Gary is implying that it will, but just in case someone THINKS >it might, I want to point out that that is wrong.

Whew, I wish I was as sure of anything as you are about this.

So Walker, Borla, Edelbrock, Schnitzer, Ansa, Supersprint, Techtonics etc. etc. are all selling snake oil right? If a plugged cat reduces power, why won't a better flowing cat increase power? > >As long as the small diameter exhaust maniflods with their large bends and >unequal length come off the heads, adding a larger diameter muffler and cat >will not improve performance.\

Small diameter primaries are what maintains torque. You want tight bends?

In addition to our Vanagon I have also placed a 2.25" stainless **cat back**exhaust on my 2.0 liter 16V Jetta. As a result it is a rocket!! Techtonics has the dyno sheets to prove that this exhaust does increase power. The auto aftermarket is full of BS and false claims. But... free flow exhausts even without a 32" primary, equal length, rotational collector header, can work. Period.

> >The stock muffler with it's straight through design is probably the LEAST >restrictive part of the exhaust system!\

Oh? I just looked. My oem muffler is not straight through. It is loaded with baffles and "U" turns. > >As for the Jacobs ignition system, this won't add HP either. Unless the >engine's ignition system is malfunctioning, this unit won't add any extra >performance either

So you're saying that any spark will do, voltage ** Plug Gap** and duration have no effect. Say what??? With the variables that we all see from our digifant FI, which is often providing a marginal mixture, you think that a bigger, hotter spark wouldn't fire some of those marginal charges that might otherwise misfire? Think about it.

Our Vanagon is quicker. My butt does not lie.

Gary