Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:32:49 -0400
From:         davidb <davidb@SKYBEST.COM>
Subject:      Wasserboxer Horsepower Increase, an intellegent discussion
Comments: To: VanagonVANAGONCOM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Lately I've noticed a deterioration in the quality of the discussion of the posting to this site. Fortunately the discussion on increasing HP of the H20boxer has been refreshingly intelligent. I would like for it to continue and request comments from those individuals out there in the know. I'm interested in a thread discussing increasing H20 HP while maintaining reliability.

I'm going to rebuild my 84 Westy this winter and would like to begin getting opinions from those individuals that are unafraid to get there hands dirty and don't believe in sending their cars in for others' to do the work. What I don't want to do is drop a chevy V-6 or some other such nonsense and trash a very fine machine, nor do I want to get into a discussion of the workmanship of the engine. Mine has 135,000 miles and no head problems. I plan to keep it for the foreseeable future.

So here goes: What I can discern so far is:

1. Have the heads professionally gone through and increase the flow. Breathing is the weakest point.

2. Install 1.25 rockers. 1.40 ratio rockers may decrease reliability.

3 Balance and blueprint engine --I always do it!

4. I like the S&S exhaust system, muffler and headers.

Now I'm open to more suggestions. Is the above set up approaching 100 HP? (my goal)

All rational, non gimmicks thoughts appreciated!

Davidb