Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 May 1998 22:55:27 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake Fade & Pads
Comments: To: "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@Schwenk-Law.com>, vanagon@vanagon.com

>Anyone else have similar experiences. What are the best performing pads >in terms of not fading and still perfrming well? OEM?

The factory pad is a good pad, period. I'm not sure if they are Pagid, or what typical OEM, but all VW factory pads are usually excellent, dirty, and expensive, but typically an excellent balance of cold performance versus heavy hot use. Some other things to try, Repco, either the MetalMaster or the lower end pad. The lower one (can't recall name) is a budget pad equal in about all aspects to OEM, the MetalMaster is sort of the overused trusted true metallic pad (though I think Repco is not the make anymore), a good pad but it needs a bit of warm up for performance better than stock, and it wears rotors faster. I tried the old Mintex Silverlines on the Corrado when they first came out in the US, now I think they sell two different pads "red" and something else. The silverlines were TERRIBLE cold for about the first 10,000 miles (and I broke these things in right) but eventually either improved cold or I got used to it, hot they were great, I had faded the OEM pads (50% worn), never did the Mintex, and a very clean pad. As to availability, I know the MetalMasters are for early vans, probably also for late as the caliper is probably the same as some FWD VW or German car, for Mintex, maybe as well as the early ATE/Girling calipers were common on a lot of German cars, and the late again should be common to some sort of FWD VW, just will take a little x-reference. Or go stock, but the price will eat you alive.

John vwbus@mindspring.com