Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 May 1998 17:56:56 -0700
From:         Robert Lilley <vwvanman@MAILEXCITE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil pumps
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>No, unfortunately the Oil Pump on the Type 4 based engined Vanagons is an >entirely (and expensive) beast. The only company making a heavy duty oil >pump for the 1.7/1.8/2.0 is Melling and IMHO it's a piece o' s**t. Leaks >worse than a wire canoe because the oil pump body is cast iron and with the >>aluminum case of your engine does not expand at the same rate when warming >>up. Tried one once, despite advice from others not to. I had LESS oil >>pressure. Pulled it, put back in the stock pump.

>Actually, while the type IV pump is different, you >can install a type I >pump quite easily. The od is the same, the drive is >the same, the oil holes >are in the same place. The pumps are interchangeable, >even though they >don't look the same. The type IV pump is an >improvement on the type I style >pump in the sense that it has one less place to leak.

The 1.9 L and 2.1L Wasserboxers stock cam is a four rivet dished cam, therefore an oil pump for dished cams needs to be used, otherwise the pump will not fit properly.

A stock T1 had two different types of cams (a four bolt dished and a three bolt non dished)and oil pumps they are not interchangeable.

A new cam can be ground on a non-dished cam and a aftermarket oil pump used that matches. Then the T4 oil pump can be used then. [It is probably the best T1 style oil pump VW put out, stock (I have not looked, nor measured the gear length of the Wasserboxer oil pump yet but should be as good??)].

If the engine is being rebuilt, otherwise stick with a stock unit for the Wasserboxer.

There are some tricks that can be done to the oil pump to increase the flow.

VWVanman

Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere! http://www.mailexcite.com