Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 May 1998 21:59:01 EDT
From:         Modl6971 <Modl6971@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 No Start,check this
Comments: To: chrisp@MOSAIX.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-05-02 21:34:29 EDT, chrisp@MOSAIX.COM writes:

<< Wondering if you could help me? We have an '87 GL that ran perfectly until the other day. Climbed in her to go to work one morning (dead cold) and tired to fire her up. Sputtered once as if every cylinder fired once and then nothing. Will not even sputter again. The next day try again...sputters once (again like every cylinder fired once again) and then nothing...no sputter no smell of gas after continued cranking.

Could I ask you to reply directly as I am in digest mode.

Thanks for your help! >>

Sounds like fuel pump, fuel pump relay, or possibly the 15 power curcuit to the coil wich goes to your digifant relay and then your fuel pump relay. If you don't have ignition power (15 power curcuit) to your coil, the problem is a burnt connector at the back of your fuse box wich is common to happen, repairable by bridging a new ignition power source to that wire coming out of the fuse box wich goes to your coil. If you give up, see Mark Lacoma at Carter VW in Seattle, if you are in Seattle, or Michael Modl at Bellevue VW if you are in Bellevue.