Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 May 1998 22:04:50 -0400
From:         "John C. Villines" <jcvinc@MAIL.ATL.BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Westy totalled...what if the insurer grossly underestimates?

Some of you know that two weeks ago I had the new dealer engine, new clutch and rebuilt tranny installed in my '90 Westy Multivan. Others of you saw us at the Peachstate Transporter gathering and know that the only real "ding" on this really clean vehicle was the moulded corner piece on the rear bumper. I had that fixed yesterday and dropped off the van at the detail shop today for just a wash and vacuum, since I had added a new cabinet (there was some sawdust) and we had taken the dog hiking so there was some dirt and dog hair. Anyway, when I went to pick it up I discovered that an out of control vehicle had come around the curve at the detail shop while the Westy was being moved and...yup, slammed into the passenger side, rolling it over and sliding it along the driver's side and roof for quite some distance. The driver was uninjured. The most extensive damage was done to the sliding door and right rear quarter panel, with no apparent frame damage but lots of scrapes, broken glass, dash damage, etc. It is quite a sad sight and my concern is that I will probably have to engage in protracted litigation with the various insurer's (detail shop, mine, and the cited driver of the other vehicle) to force repair as opposed to accepting a check for the estimated book value (which will obviously not reflect the unique nature or relative scarcity of these vehicles). I would be very grateful for any advice from list members who may have encountered similar struggles in dealing with insurers. Also, anyone who may have taken a digital photo of our van at the Peachstate gathering, I would be appreciative of receiving a pmail attachment of it. Those of you who know me personally know that I'm very disappointed with this setback, after just getting on the road after about three months down time. But you also know that I firmly believe in that bigger scheme and that "in all things give thanks". It's pretty nice metal, but its just metal.

Thanks for any help,

John