Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 May 1998 22:29:37 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>
Subject:      the cat did it
Comments: To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Headline: Bad cat makes van a dog.

At first, it just felt as if we got a fill of poor gas. A week or two later, it felt as if we were hauling a heavy load - but we weren't. After a month, we were down shifting on hills that were never a problem before. Finally the syncro's extra low gear was needed on steep hills. We started to accept the worst and checked our savings account.

We booked an appointment with the VW-MD and headed off on the 230 km trip to OWASCO with one of us following in our trusty Subaru. Well the van ran reasonably on the flat but any hill was a killer. After about 60 km trouble began. The oil light blinked and the buzzer buzzed. The engine is cooked, Right? Were our worst fears confirmed?

We'll skip the rest of the saga and leap to the last line...THE CAT DID IT. The catalytic converter had disintegrated to such an extent that the muffler was plugged with debris. The engine was choking. It couldn't breath. The van was a dog.

Now with a new cat it purrs like a kitten.

Question: what has low oil pressure got to do with a plugged exhaust? We were told by two reputable VW mechanics that this was not their first experience of low oil pressure in conjunction with a plugged cat but neither of them could explain the causal relationship. Can you?

Larry '86 Syncro Westfalia in Ontario, Canada