Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 May 1998 01:32:55 EDT
From:         Jwilli941 <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon transaxles- sorta long
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hello,

This is my two cents on some mail flying back and forth in regards to 5-speeds, ring and pinion ratios, and installing autos where manuals used to be.

Jim- $500 for a Vanagon 5 speed is what I usually have to pay for a core transaxle from a wrecking yard. I would charge (starting at) $850 for a rebuild of a customer's transaxle and can give a 12mo./unlimited mileage warranty. In this case you pays your money and takes you're chances. I am fully aware of just how expensive Vanagon stuff can be but for reference I do not deal in used transaxles. I've gone down that road and lost my shirt on too many deals gone south where I sold what I was told was a good working unit only to find out the hard way otherwise. Who knows? Maybe this trans is just what the owner is representing but you won't know until you install it in the Van and see if it shifts!

I would guess that this is a late model 2WD 5-speed and it will have a very low first gear and 2-5th will act more like the 1-4th that you are used to. I do not know if the 4 speed linkage will bolt up to the 5 speed trans. The transaxle itself should go right in Van as the later models came with the larger engine. Perhaps someone who has made this conversion can shed some light?

Patrick- Would like to see your 2.3L swap when done! I don't know where the 3.74 ring and pinion ratio you were quoted came from. AFAIK the 002s and 091s both air and watercooled came with a variety of r/ps depending upon their orginal application. You could get anything from a 5.86 in the diesels to a 5.42, 5.38, 4.86, 4.83, and 4.58. I'm sure that I have omitted one or two but thats all I could think of off the top of my head. You can make anything work if you throw enough money at it. Unless your transaxle comes with the magic r/p ratio that you want you'll either have to spend extra big bucks at VW to buy one new or kinda big bucks to purchase a good used set from me or some other rebuilder. The Vanagon transaxles had a .89 (or so) 4th gear. The tallest factory gear was a .82 which came on the early reduction gear boxed split window busses and also on the 002 IRS transaxles. There have been some 'extra' overdrive ratios of .77 and .74 available in the past but I believe that they *may* no longer be available.

Michael (Seattle)- Another fellow Washingtonian! OK, you had asked how to determine your gearing to turn 3000 rpm at 70mph. Take a look at the back of your Bugpack Catalog and.... oh, you don't have one? Anyway, this is how you go about finding out how fast your going:

MPH= RPM X Tire diameter ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Final drive ratio (ring and pinion X gear) X 336 so, 4.86 .88

3,000 X 28" (a guess) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ = 58.452 MPH 4.277 (another guess) X 336

Not nearly 70mph at 3,000. OK, lets plug in the NLA .74 4th and see what happens.

84,000 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ = 69.514 MPH 1208.390

Pretty damn close but you have a bigger 'gap' now between 3rd and 4th. Think your engine has enough grunt to make up for it or are you willing to take an extra 10-15 seconds to get up to speed?

And Russell and his Automatic quest.- You're on your own on this one. This is not a job for the faint hearted and its one that I wouldn't want to do. Not that its impossible mind you its just that its going to take a lot of dedication and a certain willingness to put up with a *lot* of headaches. Let us know how it comes out! Good Luck!

Sorry about the length but I thought it might be easier to reply to all of the Van Trans questions at once. Any questions? Don't hesitate to write!

Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles Olympia, WA