Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 May 1998 14:20:39 -0400
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trouble with lower front heater flaps
Comments: To: Joseph Tu <joe@GREENCASTLE.DYN.ML.ORG>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Joseph Tu wrote:

> Hello, > > I am absolutely fed up with the lower front heater flaps on my van. > Before the cable would be very rough and the flap would not want to > close/open all the way at cold temperatures. Then one day, the cable > bent and that was that. I went and bought another one and installed it. > Now this cable is bent. I was wondering if this is a recalled factory > repair? Looking at the flaps, the arm that is moved to close and open > them, I can notice a little play in the mechanism. IT's as if there is a > small plastic or metal bushing that is missing. Anyone else have trouble > with sticky/rough lower front flap climate control mechanisms? I don't > especially want to take my dashboard completely off to fix the flap, but > if that's what I need to do to get inthe heater box I guess I have to do > it. Any advice on how best to go about fixing this problem? > > Thanks in advance, > > Joe

This dosen't completely answer your problem but I found that when my control cable "folded" I was able to get just the "wire" in bulk from my FLAPS. I took a propane torch and heated one end so that I could form the bend in it, ran it through the casing and formed the other end to the appropiate length. A wet rag provided protection for the areas I was working in and prevented damage to the plastic liner. I have also just pulled the instrument cluster and just straightened the bend and it worked after I lubed the cable. NOTES: To lubricate the cable in place, just unhook the control end in the dash, slip a 2 inch piece of fuel or vaccuum line over the cable until it seals over the housing, elevate that end and fill it with silicone spray and work the cable until it gets all the way to the other end. That process has saved a otherwise folded wire for a long time. BTW, mine was in the water control valve and I found that a new valve worked much easier and took the load off of the cable. Mark