Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 May 1998 17:20:57 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>
Subject:      the cat did it (solved)
Comments: To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Power to the List. Where two VW mechanics failed, Joel Walker succeeded. Here is a copy of Joel's analysis and my reply: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ C O P Y ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Joel, I think you have the answer to my question:

<<Question: what has low oil pressure got to do with a plugged exhaust? We were told by two reputable VW mechanics that this was not their first experience of low oil pressure in conjunction with a plugged cat but neither of them could explain the causal relationship. Can you?>>

Joel Walker wrote:

> you may be making the wrong assumption: what if the light and buzzer > came on because of HIGH oil pressure?? there are TWO sensors. if the > cat is plugged, then the exhaust is restricted, so the combustion gases > can't get out that way, so they'd likely blow past the rings (much more > than normal) ... pressurizing the crankcase more than usual. that's the > only thing i can think of. but it should have popped the dipstick off > or blown oil out somewhere. ??

Your prediction is correct: yes, we were blowing oil out past the pressure switch. Your description also explains why we found gasoline pollution in the oil.

Thanks again Joel, Larry