Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 May 1998 20:37:08 -0700
From:         Earl Smith <earlsmit@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Aux. air reg. update
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Once again, thanks to all on the list who participated in the solution to this problem. After I changed over to the new (to Smoky) AAR I took Smoky back to my very helpful FLAR as he suggested because the idle was surging. Tom looked, listened and pronounced "vacuum leaks". The clamps on the port side of the engine leading from the carb/intake box, were not tight. The hoses seemed to be a tight fit so I didn't worry about the clamps. Told Tom I would pick up some screw-type hose clamps. "Can't use those", says Tom. "They bunch the hose and you will still have vacuum leaks. You have to crimp the clamps that are there."

OK, I have that kind of crimping tool that I bought for crimping hose clamps on my underground sprinkler system. " No", I am informed. "Those will not work. You must have the proper tool which has the same two jaws that come together but also has a rod down the centre so that when you compress the clamp with the jaws, the centre rod forces the clamp down at the crimp, at the same time."

Tom brought out this special tool and I set out to crimp the clamps. " No", I am told. "This must be done on a cold engine. Take the crimping tool home and tighten the clamps when the engine is cold. But please bring it back as it costs over $200."

Although I have dealt with Tom ever since I bought Smoky, he doesn't even know my name let alone my phone number! My wish for all you listees is that you have a supplier who is as nice as this.

Earl from Sunny Sooke 84 ex-California Vanagon