Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 May 1998 08:57:51 -0400
From:         thetrans <thetrans@INAME.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Westy Syncro clutch sticking--is it fixed??
Comments: To: CanineWolf <CanineWolf@AOL.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Sounds like a NEARLY identical story!! Thanks, and while it boosts my confidence a bit, naturally I'm still uneasy about whether something more major is wrong.. but hey I guess that's the nature of the beast! I'm sure you breathed a sigh of releif too when you found out it wasn't the trannie. Us syncro owners fear that more than a dinner party with Gingrich, Clinton and Saddam!

Thanks for the info. I too will keep you and the listees posted concerning my progress.

At 01:25 AM 5/3/98 -0400, CanineWolf wrote: >Sorry for this being so late but I have been behind on school work lately. I >had this happen to me last summer....boy does it suck!!!! I had a knew clutch >put in and t/o bearing put in so I know it wasnt due to rust or anything like >that. I also had replaced all my tranny/differential fluid with redline >MTL....so Im just at a loss to why this is happening at the time it happened. >I thought maybe the van was too hot...it was my second day out on my trip >through our country and had traveled about 500miles that day so far and when >we exited off the highway outside of Cleaveland Ohio I couldnt get out of 3rd >gear. AT least you were on a down hill...I was on the up hill....somehow I >got through the light and into the gas station rideing the clutch to hell and >haveing all the traffic beeping at me!! So I looked under the van and >nothing..not a sign of anyting wrong....then I let her sit for awhile and kept >pushing on the shifter....and then started her again and pulled on the shifter >with the clutch pushed in.....some how it popped out...I could then go into >second and reverse with major trouble but it went it...so we left the gas >station to see if anything else would happen.....WELL IT DEFINITALLY >DID.......there was this lovely loud snap ...than kinda bang....and the van >shifted smoothly ever after!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Somehow she fixed herself and now >its been 24k since then. From what other listee's have said I think that it >was syncronizer that went, I just hope that doesnt happen again. I also think >that if it wasnt that then it is the bushing that need to be replaced(which I >plan to do sometime in the near future). Well hope that helps you and if you >need anyother info email me. > >Tim G >87 gl syncro(164k) >

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Hunter/Garcia