Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 May 1998 20:10:18 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      WIN '78 WESTY $5 (Help Chalie Ford)
Comments: To: type2@type2.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

COST $5 A SHOT, LOCATION CLARKSBURG WV, DETAILS BELOW

OK ladies and gentlemen, something I've been planning for a couple of weeks but have been too busy to set in motion, but now is as good a time as any looking at Charlie's situation. First, let me say Charlie Ford did not ask for this, but I did run it by him, he is a good stand up guy and needs some short term financial help at the moment, and rather than give charity I have a great idea that helps him, and helps me.

Having too many vans, and having just left my cushy engineering job to return for a bonsai attempt at pre-med, I am stuck with the reality that I will never do anything but watch my '78 Champagne Westy turn to iron oxide so it is up for grabs, raffle style. Entirety of the proceeds to be given to Charlie Ford, with the exception that initial profits go for a muffler for the bus, and a $20 sheet metal part to be installed by me before it goes, of course if one of the Type 2 parts suppliers out there would like to donate said parts… (Then all proceeds go to Charlie, in the unlikely even he does not want them (has a job by the end of contest) proceeds split 50/50 between the type2@type2.com and vanagon@vanagon.com mailists.

The specifics.

'78 Champagne (white over brown, brown interior parts, delay wipers, etc) Westy. Located in Clarksburg, WV (3 hours from Baltimore, DC, Pittsburgh)

Gorgeous canvas. Much less rust than normal for a Mid-Atlantic Van. DPD A/C installation (worked 3 years ago, does not now). Generally solid. OK interior. Deluxe Westy, stove, sink, fridge, all worked 3 years ago. Chrome bumpers (rear smashed). New windshield seal. New fuel lines 2 years ago. Solid heater boxes/exhaust. New rear wheel cylinders, front pads, system bled 2 years ago. Tranny oil changed 2 years ago, no chunks. Some severe right side rust, the van was sideswiped and dealer repaired 10+ years ago at my guess. When I bought it, it could have been a perfect bus save for rust initiated by the terrible bodywork, it is still quite solid but sliding door going, rear forward 1/4 nasty, some front wheelwell going. (Still rockers 100% solid.) More bad, I drove it all winter 2 winters ago and let it set salted, unwashed till the present, surface corrosion took off, but it is SOLID. This bus is salvageable but I wouldn't, it is a better beater/driver sort of camper, it is better than what 1/2 of the want to be hippie population buys from unscrupulous dealers. Engine shows its age (142k), compression like 115, 110, 95, 90 when I last checked. Was turning in 15 mpg. FI present and running fine, stock exhaust and EGR filter NOT present. I think I had an oil analysis done once and it showed OK. I bought it for $300, put maybe $100 in it, drove it a year. On an idiot's lot, it would go asking $1000, I'd ask $500 if I was selling it outright.

This Bus has never failed me, after 2 years sitting I needed it a couple months ago, all other wheels broke, I jumped in started it up, drove it for a week 500 miles, no problems. This thing has great Bus "karma" it will serve its next owner well.

This is what it costs, $5 a shot, step right up, step right up. You might help Charlie, you might help the lists, and you might win a bus whose parts are worth more than $500 easily. Most of all you help me get rid of the thing to a good VW loving home.

This is how it will work. I've set up WWW page with pictures, In the future I will list names of each entrant who has sent me money on another page, updated weekly, this keeps me honest, you will see your name by a number. All entries must be get to me by May 30, then come June 1, an impartial person, perhaps our type2 listmaster will draw a number out of a hat, that person gets the bus, if your entry comes late, you simply donated $5 to Charlie. The winner has 1 week to make arrangements to claim said bus from Clarksburg WV (3 hours from DC, Baltimore, Pittsburg, etc.) then till July 1 to claim the Bus. If they fail to make arrangements or then claim the bus in that timeframe, another name is drawn. So if you want to merely donate $5 or more to Charlie, note on your entry that you do not want the Bus.

I guarantee the bus free with clear title, in running condition, capable of making it up my driveway 8-) with a fresh oil change, but maybe needing a muffler if this really doesn't work out $$$ wise. Bus made WV inspection prior to being parked. Brakes are good, runs fair, to make her solid runner needs standard front end work. Basically 142k mile condition here people, chances are it will get you 500+ miles no problems, but I can't say for sure, I'd jump in it and drive it at least half way cross country but I have AAA Plus and am known to be a total idiot when it comes to VW's.

A couple notes about the pictures, the tires shown are not included, you'll get a fair set of mismatched car style rubber to roll her home, the dash clock is not included, the bumper impact strips are not included, nor the WCM sign on front, you get everything else. The interior is in pieces and largely not installed in preparation for some bodywork, but won't affect you driving it home.

I don't care how many people I get involved here. I'd like a lot of entries to help Mr. Ford even if you don't want the Bus if we can get some spirit going but the Bus will go even if I get only one person to send an entry.

Tentatively I'll wire the proceeds to Charlie himself or forward them to someone he will be in contact with come early June, he can verify he got it. To enter send as much as you want to donate/enter to:

John Anderson 66 1/2 S Water St Keyser, WV 26726

with your name, address, phone number, and email address clearly included on a 3x5 note card. Standard safety precautions here people, send me check or money order so if I don't get it, you have recourse and we don't have hard feelings. If you send cash and I don't get it, it is your problem not mine.

And remember to note if you DO NOT actually want the Bus for logistical reasons or whatever so I can skip you in the drawing.

Any questions email me at vwbus@mindspring.com I note I'm a long time member of the Vanagon and Type2 mailists and I'm just trying to do a nice deed and get rid of the thing.

Pictures at:

http://vwbus.home.mindspring.com/vwbus.htm http://www.mindspring.com/~vwbus/vwbus.htm