Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 May 1998 09:14:43 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>
Subject:      Re: the cat did it (solved)
Comments: To: SyncroHead <SyncroHead@aol.com>,
          Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Jim Davis wrote:

> > Joel Walker wrote: > > > > > you may be making the wrong assumption: what if the light and buzzer > > > came on because of HIGH oil pressure?? there are TWO sensors. if the > > > cat is plugged, then the exhaust is restricted, so the combustion > > >gases can't get out that way, so they'd likely blow past the rings (much > > >more than normal) ... pressurizing the crankcase more than usual. that's > > >the only thing i can think of. but it should have popped the dipstick off > > > or blown oil out somewhere. ?? > > Except that BOTH oil pressure switches indicate when oil pressure is too LOW.

The buzzer sounded at >2000 rpm so I assume that the higher pressure sensor was responsible. The oil leak was at the lower pressure sensor (for <2000 rpm). The leaking sensor was replaced at the same time as the catalytic converter (the blockage) was replaced. The engine ran smoothly but on a road test, the oil buzzer/light sounded/blinked. This higher pressure sensor for >2000 rpm was then replaced and the false buzzer/light did not repeat. Maybe the oil pressure sensor was damaged by the too high oil pressure. I like Joel Walker's explanation of too oil pressure because it predicted symptoms which the van exhibited but which I had not included in my original description like my oil leak and my finding gas in the oil. Somehow a Joel's explanation has a ring of truth. Larry

> One is used at low engine speeds and has a lower oil pressure setting and one > is used at higher engine speeds and has a higher pressure setting. Both > indicate when oil pressure is too LOW though. I think that perhaps the gases > in the crankcase and lack of proper "breathing" may have heated up the oil and > caused the pressure to drop too low. > > Regards, > Jim Davis

This is exactly what most on the List have told me and what I thought at first. Because my oil pressure sender was found to be faulty, I can't be sure what was happening.

Larry