Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 May 1998 13:57:28 -0400
From:         "Lebron, Nathan (GEP, Contractor)" <Nathan.Lebron@GEPEX.GE.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC - is it just me?
Comments: To: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Well, my AC runs fine. I have not had any significant power loss. I do get this annoying whinning sound but other than that, it runs fine. In addition to the other stuff, check the belt tension. I would imagine that too tight a belt would generate more resistance thus requiring more power to turn. Also, make sure everthing else turns with ease like the water pump, alternator and steering pump.

Nate El Great 85 GL 180,000 mi

-----Original Message----- From: EMZ [mailto:vw4x4@FYI.NET] Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 1998 12:29 PM To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: AC - is it just me?

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Mark Mages wrote:

> > Ok, here is my problem. When I turn on my AC, I experience a SEVERE > loss of power. If I am on the highway it is not too bad, except for the > whining noise that starts when the engine hits about 3250rpm or so (it > quits when the compressor turns off). > > What the real problem is, is that when I go from a dead stop with the AC > on, I have to rev the enginge to about 3Krpm to get it to move without > stalling. Then the van sounds like it is red-lining but the tach only > says it is at 3500 or so... > > Does anyone else have (had) these problems? > > Mark HI Mark, I would say this is almost normal. Mainly the AC takes alot of power to run. I would check the following:

1 - make sure your engine is running well.

2 - The AC should not run very much after the Van cools down. Check your fresh air vents they maybe leaking outside air in to the van.

3 - Turn off your rear heater valve.

4 - Open up all AC vents.

Here in PA I turn the AC on full, going down hills, and going up I sometimes have to turn it off. This while going down hill, cools the van with no extra fuel consumption, and going up hills saves gas by not having to over throttle the motor. The down side is the control weres out.

SOme vehicles have a switch, that when flooring the gas, shut the AC off automatically. This would be a nice improvment on the Vanagon....Now you got me thinking....it's easy to do! Eric