Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 May 1998 17:25:00 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes57@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Retrofitting power steering-is it worth it?
Comments: To: Garrick Chang <gchang1@PACBELL.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I've done this a number of times. The hardest part is that you will have to drop the fuel tank to install the factory lines up front. The steering rack will bolt right up. You will also need to swap the shaft that connects to the pinion gear. Having the front end aligned will compensate for the different spindles, (toe-in). You may also have to drill the cylinder head to mount the pump bracket. Make sure it is lined up properly or you will have a belt fly-off problem. Be careful drilling and tapping. You will also have to mount the reservoir bottle and the power steering lines to the body. If they can move too much you will experience all sorts of buzzing noises. it is definitely worth the effort as the power steering changes the character of the van in a very favorable way. For a real treat, the 86 and later brakes can also be installed. The spindles will bolt right up and you'll only need to change the hoses.

Dennis -----Original Message----- From: Garrick Chang <gchang1@PACBELL.NET> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, April 13, 1998 9:23 PM Subject: Retrofitting power steering-is it worth it?