Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 May 1998 18:37:43 -0700
From:         Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: True Lies (was Re: Rear Drum removal)
Comments: To: Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Gary Shea wrote:

> [snip] drove out of the lot, and as I braked for > the first corner, felt a powerful rhythmic bumping in the brake > pedal, like maybe about the rpm of the drum going around... > so I took it back to the shop, and asked a young kid there if > he knew how they'd removed the drums. Said his dad whacked on > 'em with a sledge until they came off. > > Then I talked to the owner (the kid's dad), not mentioning what > his son had told me, but indicating that the drums were trashed. > Asked him if they'd use a puller on the drums. He said yes, they > had, but was willing to fix the problem.

I'm pretty sure you can trash a drum if you hit it on the curved face of its outer _diameter_ instead of the perimeter of the flat drum face. Because you're trying to break the rust bond between the inside face of the drum and the flat face of the hub, you need to "rock" the drum out of the plane of the flat face. Hitting the curved outer diameter of the drum sure wouldn't accomplish this very readily until you hit the drum with _lots_ of force. Sounds like that's what they did.

Maybe there's some sort of puller you can use on these drums (not the hub, the drum) but it seems improbable: the brake backing plate prevents you from getting a grip on the edge of the drum itself, so the only way to "attach" the puller to the drum would be with some sort of tightened band (like a huge hose clamp) that you would wrap around the drum itself.