Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 May 1998 18:39:26 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Two Motors in a Vanagon (Swap Talk)
Comments: To: KENWILFY <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

All JH engines are 90hp and have 8.5-1 compression which doesn't require a knock sensor. This is the simplest 1.8L to setup. Looks like you got a great deal on this one! If it had a knock sensor then it can't be a stock JH, no 100hp JH engines were produced. They made 95hp in Europe but they had no cat. With a decent exhaust expect about 100hp. You can get more power with a Euro-GTI cam shaft but it will soften up the bottom end a big unless you want to play with cam timing and this will start to throw your budget out the window.

At 18:29 5/6/98 EDT, KENWILFY wrote: >Drove up to the local U-Pick-It and drove away three hours later, dirtier, >$180 poorer, but with two motors in my '91 Carat. One purred perfectly all >the way home. The other say silent on a piece of plywood awaiting great >things to come. >The Motor is a JH motor and I got all the appliances with it (A/C compressor, >alternator, starter) and the 5 speed transmission for $180! You might say, >"well you have no guarentee on that motor" and you would be right. However >the clock said 94k miles and after we did the pull the guy that helped us load >it into my van said that he and a few of the other guys had some fun driving >the car around the lot before they put her up on blocks. >So I say the Lord is good! >Tomorrow, the fun begins. I am going to power wash everything off and start >changing bell housings and input shafts and motor mounts and taking pictures. >Someone said that the motor has 90 hp and then there was a 100 hp version as >well right? My engine had a knock sensor does that make it the higher powered >one? >Anyway just wanted to share with the List what is sure to be a grand >adventure. >Ken Wilford >John 3:16 > >

-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 1.6L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDING EMAIL --