Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 May 1998 15:02:04 -0400
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: ?Syncro tires, wheels, rotation?
Comments: To: William Ward <wward@texoma.net>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

But he never had a Syncro! The spare MUST be the same size as the other tires, in case one of the "other" tires blows. Thus, it needs to be added to the rotation. Early radials got "set" by their initial rotation and thus HAD to be kept on the same side of the car. New radials (as of the last 15 years) don't have this problem at all and can be switched around to even out the wear.

To summarize:

- don't have a flat with a Syncro and

- make sure your spare is always the same size as the current set of tires

Cheers,

MJS

At 01:33 PM 5/1/98 -0500, William Ward wrote:

>My tire dealer rotates mine front to back on the driver's side, and front to

>spare to rear on passenger side. He says that (1) you want all the tires to

>rotate in the same direction and (2) there is greater tire wear on the right

>side. This is caused by the way many roads are made with a crown, causing

>the vehicle to pull to the right, and you have to steer slightly to the

>left. I'm gullible enough to believe this, but am open to other thoughts on

>the subject. I got 67K miles out of a set of Goodyear on my Ford PU doing

>it this way.

>Bill Ward

>'86 GL

>At 01:27 PM 5/1/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>At 11:14 AM 5/1/98 +0000, Kevin Sullivan wrote:

>>>I'm sure this has been covered before I joined the list so can

>>>someone give me a quick rundown.All syncro related:

>>>1.Can you have 4 alloys on a van and keep the same size tire on a

>>> steel rim for spare?

>>>2. Should you do a 4 or 5 tire rotation? What pattern? How often?

>>>3. How many miles can one expect out of a tire on the heaviest

>>> Vanagon, that being the Syncro Westy ( I know, there are alot of

>>> variables in this one)?

>>> Thanks

>>>Kevin Sullivan

>>>'87 syncro westy

>>>Santa Cruz, CA

>>Michael J. Sullivan

>>Director of Catalog Design

>>Open Market, Inc.

>> work: http://www.openmarket.com

>> play: http://www.hsdesign.com

<bold>Michael J. Sullivan

</bold><italic>Director of Catalog Design

Open Market, Inc.

</italic>