Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 May 1998 16:08:32 -0400
From:         Tom Ervolina <ervolina@US.IBM.COM>
Subject:      how about the The New Bus
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I saw the new beetle yesterday and am very impressed.

I was thinking that it would be really cool, and probably really successful, if VW did a similar retro of the Bus. I know personally many people that "wouldn't be caught dead" in a mini-van and end up buying big SUV's for the extra room (yeah, right) and that "I can go anywhere" perception. But man, if VW came out with a new bus that: - captured the look of the old bus ("way cool") - had a synchro option ("I can go anywhere" ) - had cavernous interior space ("and carry all that stuff") - had a camper and weekender option ("and I can stay if I want") - had modernized power-plant and mechanicals ("and I can leave if I want")

they wouldn't be able to build them fast enough.

Everyone I talk to has some nostalgia associated with the bug. The problem is that, imo, the small car is not where people's heads are at today. Its with the minivans and SUV's. I think VW, with a decent implementation and some good marketing, could really capitalize. And I'd be their first customer.

Tom Ervolina Enterprise Solutions Research IBM Yorktown Heights, NY ervolina@us.ibm.com