Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 May 1998 13:35:43 -0600
From:         Fred Porter <fporterNOSPAM@EYRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: adjust parking brake?
Comments: To: "Backus, Brian G" <Brian.Backus@PSS.BOEING.COM>,
          Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Backus, Brian G wrote: > > I've only done a rear brake job on my Vanagon once. But you know it's > been so long ago that I forgot, How do you adjust the parking brake? > And what is the proper way to remove the brake drums? > > Any theories? > > Thanks, > > Brian G. Backus > 86 Westy

Brian... the proper way in the bentley is ok up to where they say to remove the big axle nut and spindle.

you can remove the drum by removing the drum bolts (9 or 10 mm, I think) squirt wd-40 or liquid wrench in there to help loosen the rust bond. Then whack on it with a rubber mallet--i have a nice dead blow hammer that works great. Then work around the spindle, etc. Oh, do the above after you do the following:

releasing emerg brake tension: Under the van, you'll see the emerg brake equalizer: one rod from the brake lever goes into a cross rod. The emergency brake cables running to each drum brake are attached at either end of the cross rod. Loosen the nut holding the lever cable under tension. Then back off the adjusting wheel (i made that tool by bending a used up flat head screwdriver).

killer tool tip (I think Mark McCulley passed this on to me): buy a spring grabbing tool, it'll save you hours of agravating fiddling when disconnecting, reconnecting the 3 or 4 springs in each brake assembly. The springs are tedious as it is and this tool makes the job sooooo much faster.

later, fred

PS while in there, gently peak under the rubber boots on the wheel cylinders for fluid. Maybe consider replacing if there is fluid leaking. R&R of whl cylndrs is whole nother procedure. But peace of mind is nice. Bus depot was super helpful with all drum parts. -- remove NOSPAM to reply