Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 May 1998 13:52:17 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cavitation corrosion/erosion
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, rstevens@ISLANDNET.COM

Very interesting. Probably not applicable to our VWs but still interesting. First, this is of greater concern in diesels, where the *normal* operation is "knocking". The problem is that the shock wave from the detonation causes ringing in the cylinder sleeves. Gasoline engines should never experience this. Secondly, I have never heard of cylinder corrosion as being the big problem on Vanagons -- rather it is the corrosion of the heads. Vanagons, more than any other engine of my experience, are highly susceptible to the *other* major corrosion player -- galvanic corrosion, which occurs when dissimilar metals are in electrical contact and immersed in a conductive fluid. Our Vanagons have Aluminum heads, iron cylinders and magnesium cases -- a real horror!

Cavitic corrosion can be really interesting -- I have seen almost unbelievable pits on ship propellors, where the very nature of the beast promotes cavitation. The subsequent pits result in more cavitation, and lines of holes eat their way deep into the propellor. This probably occurs in our water pumps, but they are pretty easily replaceable.

The material they speak of might not be good in such a mixed-metal engine. It might be fine -- I have no idea, but very few parts (mainly the cylinder sleeves) would be protected, and it might attack other parts of the engine -- such was hinted at in the article.

Malcolm