Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 May 1998 23:57:20 EDT
From:         SyncroHead <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Syncro Safari - 1999, How? Where? When?
Comments: To: Vanagon@Vanagon.com, SyncroSafari@Vanagon.com

Helllloooooo Syncronuts!

I know that most of you haven't yet heard any details of how the Syncro Safari, Moab ''98 went, but it's not too early to begin taliking about the 1999 event.

I think that there are three primary issues that I'd like to start discussions and get other Syncronaut's input on: How, Where, and When?

HOW? The first issue that needs to be defined is the format of the event. At the "Moab '98" event, the trail rides were part of the Easter Jeep Safari and was a "base camp with day trips" format. I enjoyed this event a lot, appreciated all the gawks and questions from Jeepers, and liked that someone else (Red Rock 4-Wheelers) handled the trails, and provided guide service. It was a great event! For 1999, I suggest that we have our own event instead of attaching to an existing 4-wheeling event. I suggest that we might switch the format to a multi-day trek from one starting point to one end point. There are many issues to be resolved with this type of format however, including: Access to fuel, access to food, food storage, medical attention, repair facilities, etc. Another issue is that the availability of a suitable multi-day routes is much lower than simply areas which offer day trips. By "multi day", I'm thinking of perhaps three 4-wheeling days, with two recreation/relaxation days for a total of 5. I'm certainly still open to doing a "base-camp" format again though.

WHERE? WHEN? After deciding on the format, the location and date will need to be choosen. These two seem to need to be decided together, since the location will be quite dependent on expected weather. We certainly couldn't do a Sierra trip in March, or a Death Valley trip in July! Another factor weighing in on the location is accessibility to someone who might be able to provide local information and check things out for the group. I can do this in southern California, but certainly couldn't provide these services in New Mexico or Washington for instance. We CANNOT rely solely on guide books. They are often wrong, especially as the BLM, NFS, and other govenrment agencies continue to close off-highway routes. It would be a bad thing to drive 1,000 miles to find our route closed to access, by the govenrment or made impassible by damage from El Nino, or other factors. Still another factor could be proximity to those who will be attending. I wouldn't expect to do a Syncro Safari in a particular area if the average distance the event was too high.

Suggestions? Comments? Whatever?

Regards, Jim Davis, SyncroSafarinut