Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 May 1998 22:45:16 -0700
From:         V H Wolfgang Carolsfeld <wolfgang@ISLAND.NET>
Subject:      Syncro Viscous Coupling : when should it be freewheeling ?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

How to you determine if the viscous coupling in the Syncro drivetrain is freewheeling when it should be ?

On a normal syncro van when you lift only one front wheel will it spin freely if you turn it slowly enough ( < 18 ft/lbs) ?

I have a hunch that ours has been frozen in the engaged condition, even before we bought the van 18 months ago. I've found reference in the archives to testing the engage point by lifting one wheel and turning the wheel with a torque wrench to find the point where resistance indicates engaged viscous coupling. So does this infer freewheeling at lower turning moments ?

Our 87 Syncro developed a serious front C/V joint tick after I foolishly tourqed the wheels to final tightness, wheel up, one wheel at a time, while rotating tires (never monkey wrench with only 4 hours of sleep!). With the handbrake applied, wheel blocks etc. the rear wheels obviously wouldn't turn but in retrospect I think the front ones should have.

To try to isolate the C/V joint ticking sound I removed the rear > front drive shaft. The rear flange of the front differential (still installed with front axles in place) has about 1/8 in. radial play, but won't rotated freely by hand. Does anyone know if it should rotate ?

Now that I've driven without the main driveshaft, I've noticed considerably easier parking turns on pavement, less tire abrasion sounds in slow tight turns, and lighter steering on the road. With no prior Syncro driving experience when we bought the van, I think we accepted the handling properties of a vehicle with fulltime allwheel drive due to a frozen viscous coupling.

I'd appreciate any tips anyone could offer on determining the operating condition of the viscous coupling while installed. The local dealer seems to have no experience replacing them and doubts that they can fail in a linked/latched condition. Also claims that VW Canada hasn't sold any replacements yet, but I haven't heard their price yet either !

Wolfgang Carolsfeld carlsfld@island.net