Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 May 1998 09:23:35 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: the next wave:westy to syncro
Comments: To: David Bayer <bayer@sybase.com>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@vanagon.com

David Bayer wrote: > > >| headliner first! Other than the top, the westy stuff can be swapped in > >| about two days by 2 people who are handy with tools . To do the top is > >| another 2-4 days depending on wether you try to use the factory bed. I > >| would not use one again because it requires cutting a much larger hole > >| and adding re-inforcing cross tubes to the upper body to support the > >| bed. > > Is the location of these bars pretty much obvious as one disables > the donor vehicle? I have been planning to swap the tops and sink/fridge > units for a while now and would appreciate any help on the top bed you can > give. > > dave Yes it is some what obvious. The roof sheet metal has raised stiffening panels (on the standard roof).One of these is just to the rear of the sliding door opening. Right below this raised rib is a cross brace from one side of the van to the other. It has an arch contour that matches the curve of the roof. This reinforcing arch must be cut out in order for the flat factory bed to fit. On the westy this cross brace is FLAT and also is used to support the bed. You must cut out the curved one and fit a flat structurally sound replacement.I used 2 pieces of 1" by 1" steel tubing bolted across side by side. The most important thing to know is that the bed must be fitted as low to the roof as possible or the pop-top will not be able to close fully. This is why the top bed has such thin mattress pads to begin with. I find the pop-top to be a great addition to my van even without the factory top bed. From the out side it looks completely original. Having standing room inside is great and the area above is a handy spot to keep stuff when we are camped. I also made a single bed platform that goes across the opening when one of my nephews comes with us. I can go into some detail on how to go about installing the top, but the bed is a pain. In any case, I would say it is best to fit the top first with a smaller hole in the roof. This way you do not need to cut out any structual support, only some roof sheet metal.Start by screwing down the aluminum rails that hold the canvas to the roof. Then mark where the pop-top support legs would bolt on and the latch plate. this way you can be sure not to cut the hole to large. Then mark the sheet metal for cutting. Remember that it is easier(ha ha) to cut more later than to add some back.I then marked a smaller area on the headliner fabric and cut it out first (leave some excess fabbric so you can fold it up to make it look good).Then cut the roof hole. Then mount the front rack. Then install the top.It is much heavier and awkward than you think and takes 3 or 4 men on foot stools to place it without damaging anything(I'm not exagerating). When you have the top and canvas installed and working correctly, you can think about wether you simply must have the top double bed.(there are many more small steps than I have listed, but the most important thing is to think carefully before doing anything). To put the top bed in you must cut off almost all of the roof sheet metal from behind the front seats back(I chose to leave the headliner material to simlify the finish work). Leave enough on the sides to have something to attach the pop-top canvas and supports.Then you need to cut off the arched support, leaving enough at each end to attach a flat support. I did not use the back piece of wood, preferring to cut my own from oak 3/4" plywood to use as the fixed part of the bed. Again it is critical to get the platform as low as possible or the hinged part of the bed will catch on the pop-top when you open and close the bed. Also the top will not close all the way. This is why I mount the top fisrt, so I can make sure it is opening and closing correctly before the bed is installed. On the project where I did use the factory bed, I found it essential to have both vans at the same place so I could take many measurements and check things as I went. There are some camper things that I was unable or unwilling to move over to the "new" camper. I don't have time right now to say more but if you want more info, please reply and I will elaborate.