Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 May 1998 10:07:00 -0400
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Re: What's A Syncro Worth
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I got to think'n what I'd take for my 91 Syncro Westy. I recon I might part with it for a brand new 4WD EV Camper with bumper to bumper lifetime parts and labour warrantee, oh yes, and 24 hour road service contract - lifetime. So I'm open to offers. Malcolm

So > > what would that make a syncro westfalia worth? A mint condition > > syncro westfalia is rare as chicken's teeth ... and compared to the > > other vehicles on the market (like a used toyota 4 runner or land > > cruiser discovery), a mint (an important distinction) 1990 or 91 is, > > in my opinion, "worth" $20,000 or more assuming everything is sound > > mechanically and mileage is somewhat under 100,000. By worth, I mean > > I'd pay it...others will too. Till that Rolls Westfalia Camper comes > > out...there's nothing else close to the syncro westfalia on the > > market...except a regular vanagon westy...and there are tons more of > > them, but no 4WD. You can drive a syncro westfalia with complete > > confidence in 2 feet of fresh snow off road, or up a steep muddy, > > rutted hill to get to that perfect camping spot ... or out of a > > horrible spot ... and driving over an 11,000' mountain pass in a > > blizzard with your kids going skiing is a breeze .... over time these > > experiences are very convincing evidence as to the value and utility > > of this vehicle. .... I would not take $20,000 cash for my > > syncro...where would I get another in comparable condition ??? And > > what else could I buy for $20,000... a used jeep or suburban... no > > thanks. > > steve > > > Oh, yeah, well, so what? I'm just worried that Rolls has a bunch of them > old tombstone grills and somebody in marketing will wanna stick 'em on > the front of the new SSSyncro Westies, and won't that just look GREAT?? > Who's gonna want one then, huh? Guess maybe you could pass them off as > off-road radiator guards or something. But I'd always be outta propane > keepin' the grey poup chilled! Darn automotive world's goin' to Hades in > a handbasket, next you'll be tellin' me Daimler bought CHRYSLER or some > such ridiculous story! (Invented the MINIVAN, don'tcha know?) 8o] > Larry >