Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 May 1998 08:44:36 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's A Syncro Worth
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, Modl6971@AOL.COM

Perhaps a survey of what we who *have* Syncros actually paid for them, and something of their condition, along with what anybody out there is willing to actually pay for one would be enlightening.

I'll start:

I live in the rather expensive California Syncro market. I have two. I also shopped for a long time, looked at many of these, and passed up most as being too expensive.

My two:

1986 Syncro Transporter DoubleCab: bought one year ago with <80,000 miles, bad VC, but otherwise in very nice California-rustfree condition. Bed slats missing -- used as a truck (a few dents inside the bed area) $12,500

1986 Syncro Transporter Kombi: (yes, the "panel van with windows" commercial unit). Bought 3 years ago, with 75,000 miles. No locking diff, no power steering. Canadian (Toronto) with not much rust (but I'm wanting one of those stainless exhausts...). Cheapo bright red paintjob, and had some poorly repaired damage in the rear -- basically its a beater. $2,400

I looked at several 1986/7 ones in the San Jose area over the years (I want a Syncro Westy to replace my regular one). Most were more than I was willing to spend. I found a nice 87 Westy, fairly low miles, asking $14k. I offered $10k. It was not sold as far as I am aware, owner decided to keep it. I looked at a GL for $7,500. Fair condition, I offered $5k, it also failed to sell. I saw (and posted here) a nice 1987 for $8,500 a year ago. As far as I know *it* never sold. I also looked at a *beautiful* 1988 Westy in LA, asking price was $11,000, but it had 250k miles on it (with a new engine, new trans, new front diff, etc.) Nice Yakima racks, etc. I had just bought the doublecab and so was short on cash. I think this one sold for about $7k eventually, but it had been for sale for several months when we saw it. I also tried to get that TriStar that came up in Washington a few years ago -- that Todd (?) got. I was willing to pay the $25k they wanted for that one, but my wife is much happier with the plain DC -- we feel free *using* it.

So what I was willing to pay to upgrade my Westy was in the $10k area, if the beast was really nice. I *have* a spare Westy and the Kombi, so I can build my own Syncro Westy for a couple of bucks...now I am less willing to pay much for one. I really *wanted* the truck -- asking price was $14,000 on that one -- negotiated lower because of the failed VC. By the way, I am first owner on both of the trucks -- they both had been dealer vehicles and run with dealer plates all their lives (saved the task of trying to get California registration on imported vehicles for the PO -- I picked up the Kombi in Toronto from the dealer, who had it sitting in storage).

Right now, I'd be willing to pay about $2500 for a GL and about $6000 for a nice Westy. $2500 would be for a set of spare parts, basically -- I don't need more Vanagons.

Malcolm

1980 Westfalia 1981 Vanagon L (parts) 1982 Vanagon Diesel Westy (parts -- no engine) 1986 Vanagon GL 1986 Syncro Transporter Kombi 1986 Syncro Transporter Doublecab