Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 May 1998 22:55:12 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: A3 engine in Westie / PS pump disable?
Comments: To: Otmar Ebenhoech <Otmar@EVCL.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 21:29 5/9/98 -0700, Otmar Ebenhoech wrote: > OK, Here's a quick update on the stretch project ( >http://www.evcl.com/strvan/strvan.html ) before I get diesel oil all over >me:-( > > I picked up the back half last night. It's a white 82 diesel westie >with a blown engine. The camping gear is in great shape! The outside has a >few small dents. I towed it home with a electric truck just to get it used >to the electrons :-) > Anyone ever try to get window tinting off the window behind the >left rear cabinet? Let me tell you, it's not fun, my arm is pretty sore! I >tried to pop the window out but the old rubber was holding strong. The >windows recovered though, and there's no more peeling purple tint :-) > > This morning I found a '97 A3 engine from a Jetta GL with less than >2K on it at German Parts Warehouse in Sacramento http://www.bugworld.com/. >5 hours of driving and $1500 (plus tax) later, I now have the 2.0 8V I4 >crossflow sitting here awaiting installation :-) I hear that it's 115 HP. >Does anyone know where I can look up more specs on this engine?

It is something like: 115hp@5200rpm abd 135ft-lb@2600rpm. A real nice motor! Also with the motronic ECU you can get a custom chip made up to beef up the areas you want to beef up. This engine with a decent exhaust and cam will produce about 140hp.

> I have a question: This engine has a Power Steering pump tensioning >the water pump belt. I don't have PS, and if I do add it I'll run it off a >electric pump so that it works when I'm driving pure electric. Is there a >way to leave the pump on as a idler and let it spin? I thought maybe I >could pull the pump guts and fill it with oil?

Take the power steering pump off. I would get the pulleys from a rabbit and install those. All you need is the alternator - right? If so the rabbit pulleys will work fine!

> BTW, it looks like the manifold will be a close fit to the deck >lid. I'll report how it works out.

It will be too tall if mounted at 15deg. The top of the valve cover is about the point where the engine will hit the deck lid in a Syncro. On a 2WD the engine would sit even higher. If it is going in a the 50deg diesel mounting angle you will MAY just miss the side wall due to the cross flow head...

-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 1.6L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDING EMAIL --