Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 May 1998 21:26:45 -0400
From:         David Raistrick <keen@FINALLY.ATLASTA.NET>
Subject:      Re: tire load rating!
Comments: To: Jonyqest22 <Jonyqest22@AOL.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Jonyqest22 wrote:

> other volks who put either the michelin LTX 's on or the Yokohama Y356, I wnat > to put either one of these one preferably. People were all concerned about > the load rating, and most of the responsed I received stated to go for a "D" > rating and 8 ply sidewalls. I seem to feel that most of the responses I got > were from people woho had westis, which are a hech of a lot heavier than my > straight forward vanagon (got the weekenderbed though). I see the advantages > of this, more stable ride, I have a thule adjenture roof BOX and a canoe so > its more top heavy than anything. Anyway my question is do I need to go with > the "D" load rating and the 8 ply sidewall, can I get away with something with

Jon....

First off, the LTX is a good all around tire. The Y356 is a highway rib tire. I wouldnt recommend driving in the rain, or dirt, or gravel with this tire. Get the Y370. Tire Rack can get them, allthough last I heard, they only have 2 in stock. You want the 195 75R14, load D....The y370 has an excellent all season/mild offroad tread. I've driven them in lots and lots of water, a bit of ice, and even more good ol' asphault..Then there is the mud...:)

Anyway.

There are a few reasons that ANY Vanagon or Bus should use a C or D rated tire, instead of normal passenger tires.

One is the fact that the side of the vehicle is so very prone to wind. That wind puts lots of stress on the tires. My old cheapo tired used to flex in a good wind, with the bus sitting still. I never watched them while I was moving..

Another is just the shear weight of the vehicle, although the passenger and commercial versions weigh less than the campers.

Also the fact that we are very limited in the size of tire we use. The smaller tires generally cannot carry the weight that a larger tire can, but we cant use the larger tires. your average full size truck has no trouble holding a 235 or so 75 series 15 inch tire. We're lucky to get a 205 75R14 in there.

Then there is the average VW owner's penchant for overloading the vehicle.

Lets say you have that 9 pass that Chris has been trying to sell for ages. Average passenger weighs 150 pounds. That's 1350 right there. My Y370's are rated at 1710 or something like that, per tire...Now, count the weight of the bus, and luggage, etc etc, and then take into effect the sidewinds that are putting more strain on the sidewall....Now, take a turn. wouldnt wanna be THAT front tire!:)

A C or D load tire allows you to use a higher tire pressure, which helps to counter the sidewall flex, and gives you a much more surefooted ride, and drive...

A D load tire would be my first choice, but I could settle for a C. (My Y370's are rated for 65 PSI max, I generally run them 43 front, 50 rear..Personal prefernce. Took me a while to get a setting I felt comfortable with for general all around conditions. I modify this for extended highway, or offroad driving.. And this is for a 69 Westy, not a Vanagon...:)

A C rated tire will allow you more flexability in the tread, and manufacture of the tire, and still get you within a safe limit for the tire. You will probably be running it near max. pressure, though.

I would NOT safely recommend an A or B rated tire, in normal-use sizes. Perhaps if you are running a lower profile, higher speed rated tire, on different rims...Even then, I'd think twice.

Just my comments...david -- David Raistrick '69 Westy-Itchigo keen@finally.atlasta.net '66 SO-44 Westy (coming soon!) in Augusta Ga