Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 May 1998 18:42:35 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: How can you mess up a cat? (and no not a furry one)
Comments: To: thetrans <thetrans@iname.com>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I could be wrong on this one, but I think if you reset it, it will not come on for another "X" kms. It is best to change the O2 sensor. The Bus Depot has them for quite cheap.

At 15:01 5/10/98 -0400, thetrans wrote: >Thanks for that clarification and the relationship to the 02 sensor. After >a few months of inactivity, I just got my Westy Syncro (1987) going again. >Everything is functioning fine, though the 02 sensor came on and stayed on. >I just assumed that it was the mileage thing kicking in and was going to do >the reset. I assume if I reset and it comes back on its the sensor, and if >it stays off it was the mileage thing. Am I correct? Thanks. > > >At 09:40 AM 5/10/98 -0700, David Marshall wrote: >>There are a few mays you can do it. Cats run at a very spacific temp >>range. Outside of that they will eventually melt or get plugged. If your >>O2 sensor dies the oxygen content of your exhaust changes and so does the >>temprature therefor killing your cat. Cranking without starting I don't >>think will quickly kill the cat bacuase they are designed to take a small >>amount of abuse when you start you car up. Usually the cold start feature >>makes the mixture richer for a few minutes and this won't kill the cat. >>Prolonged driving at the wrong temp will kill it. >> >>At 00:48 5/10/98 -0700, Joseph Tu wrote: >>>Hello, >>> >>>I was wondering how you can mess up your cat. conv. Will cranking the >>>engine over repeatedly without it starting mess up a cat? All possible >>>ways, please do tell. >>> >>>Thanks, >>> >>>Joe >>> >>> >> >>-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- >> -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- >> -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 1.6L VW Syncro Double Cab -- >> -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- >> -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDING EMAIL -- >> > >"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you >look at it right" > >Hunter/Garcia > >