Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 May 1998 23:26:05 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Changing the engine oil
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

BRAVO,

Joel just made the most complete oil change instruction of all time.

I'd conjecture one small point, although his transfer method is great for reducing the chance of spilling oil, after the first quart is in, I'd take an X-acto knife and cut the top of the plastic bottle off at a 45 degree angle such that when you sit it in the extended fill tube the angle cut is level with the world. Makes a dandy funnel that will stay in nearly by itself, and gives you a monstous area to pour for, gauranteeing no oil about the liscense flap etc. I typically stuff a paper towel down my home made funnel and toss it under the seat for future use. Also works like a charm for that annoying coolant fill bottle. I always change the copper washer, they are cheap, and only fill the filter about twice so that when I turn it to 45 degrees for installation the oil does not run out.

A little trivia note here BTW, if you ever buy and Audi or Corrado G60 and are anal enough to buy the OEM filters (the ones with the little nut thing on the bottom that appear nearly like the normal FWD/Vanagon filter but seem a little different up at the business end) note they are valved differently and prefilling the center port is not possible and can hydraulicly LOCK the filter resulting in absolutely no oil pressure and no way to push oil through it (ask me how I know :-) They are designed to keep pressure on the system up to the lifters longer after shut down, but also cost about $9-$15 each, sure would be convenient for Vanagons though where the nut on the bottom makes removal a snap. They must be prefilled though the 4 radial outer ports which is nearly impossible. The benefit of prefilling the filter is somewhat questionable anyway, but I always do think every little bit helps.

John vwbus@mindspring.com