Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 May 1998 23:28:52 -0700
From:         Katherine Lee <katherine@DNA.BC.CA>
Subject:      No longer an oil change virgin (was Changing the engine oil)
Comments: To: Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@halhinet.on.ca>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

A big thanks to everyone who responded to my newbie question with patience, support and incredibly detailed information.

Interesting to read that there have been similar problems due to the previous owner's use of 10W30. That's what seems to be happening here! The previous owner of my van lived up north, around Prince Rupert, so it seemed plausible to me when I bought the van, that thinner oil would be alright for that climate. And before I bothered to have it changed to 15W40, the engine hadn't used up any oil, as far as I could tell.

It was only after having an engine flush done and changing to 15W40 that I experienced this oil burning problem. And now, before I spring for any major work, I'm trying Castrol 20W50. Because the 15W40 and a new oil filter were put in only about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I didn't change the oil filter this time. And I've only put 4 litres of new oil in, as a result. (But as a rule, is it advisable to change the filter every time you change the oil?)

Here's how my first time went. After a pleasant Mother's Day brunch with my folks, and a round of shopping with my mother, I went to work on that oil change, before the sun went down. I didn't have an oil change pan, so my partner suggested yogurt containers (he's been reading over my shoulder as I type this, and wants it to be clear that he in NO WAY suggested the NUMBER of containers I stupidly chose). My big mistake was having only 4 ... I figured, since I wasn't taking out the filter, that about 4 litres would come out of the tank. When I had the oil drain plug undone, and the oil pouring out into each of the four containers, I realized when I'd gotten to the fourth container, that there was still oil coming out of the tank and nothing to catch it in. Looking at the full yogurt containers, I realized that they only had a capacity of 750 g each (doh!) ... I had to quickly screw the plug back in while the last of the oil was still pouring out ... and run back into the house to get another one. Luckily I had the cardboard box down, as Joel suggested. Also, I had thought to bring out a bunch of old newspapers, and these came in handy, as I didn't want to lie back down on the greasy cardboard box.

Anyway, to make a long story longer (as a friend's late father used to say) ... on went the cleaned oil drain plug, in went the 20W50, on went the engine, and after a few minutes, out came the dipstick, so I could check the level. It looked a bit high ... fuller than the full notch, more like around the twist past the full notch. I'm attributing this to the oil having to circulate a bit more & stuff, and after having driven around town a bit tonight, I'll wait and check the oil again in the morning.

And now for a good night's rest. Thanks again, everyone.

Katherine 89 Westfalia

P.S. Larry, did your oil problem clear up after you switched to a heavier grade oil?