Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 May 1998 11:39:23 -0400
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Re[2]: New beetle name
Comments: To: Don Gibbons <dgibbons@presray.com>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 11:30 AM 5/11/98 -0400, Don Gibbons wrote: >But what would it have been like that if in 75 that VW introduced the new beetle >instead of the rabbit? >

It probably would have turned out like a piece of crap. The build quality on the 75 rabbits were terrible. They had tons of problems with the cylinder heads cracking, etc. Besides, VW needed to get a break from the Beetle. Given the falling sales of the Beetle in 1975, why re-invent the beetle? They tried with the Type 3 and the Type 4 and failed. And given the resistance of the buyers at that point in time, as well as your own biases 23 years later, do you actually think it would sell then?

I'm glad VW waited to "cash in" on the nostalgia craze with the New Beetle in 1998...they have produced a car that not only captures the spirit of the old beetle but is the safest small car on the market. Maybe I'm getting old...but these days safety ranks high on my list.

Other things I'm glad about...the power train on the NB is a direct descendant of the one in the 75 Rabbit...but with 23 year's worth of modifications, corrections, improvements to boot!

>my comment on the beetle name refered to the fact that VW did not name it.

I understand that...but your comment referred to the fact that the "public" gave the beetle its name and that VW somehow stole it...

Ric