Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 May 1998 13:49:49 -0400
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Replacement Refrigerator (somewhat longish)
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Dear List,

I am doing some research on replacing my Dometic RM182b with a more "modern" (read easily repairable) RV refrigerator. And so far, NOTHING fits! Nada! The offical line from everyone is "YOU CAN'T REPLACE IT WITH ANYTHING".

However, I am considering making some "minor" modifications to my main sink/stove/fridge cabinet that would allow a different unit. Namely, I am willing to install a WIDER refrigerator and replacing the drawer/cabinet on the right with an authentic-looking Westfalia-styled cabinet face made by my local plastic laminate cabinet maker. The rest of the main cabinet would remain pure Westy -- only the "face" would change.

What IS available in this country are the following 3-way refrigerators:

- Dometic RM2202. 2.0 cu ft. Dimensions: 22.25"H x 19.25"W x 18.25" D. This unit includes a freezer compartment. Much bigger than RM182. Negatives: controls are from the OUTSIDE.

- Dometic RM2193. 1.9 cu ft. Dimensions: 21"H x 17.75"W x 21.5" D. Not sure where controls are (anyone know for sure?). No freezer. Bigger than RM182.

- Norcold 323. 1.7 cu ft. Dimensions: 20.67"H x 17.5"W x 21.25"D. Not much bigger than RM 182. No freezer. Outside controls.

LIST MEMBERS: ANY OTHERS I DIDN'T LIST???

Note: outside controls require an access panel to be cut into the side of the body. A rather common item in the RV world but not my preference if I can help it.

Curiously, Electrolux in Europe (which owns Dometic) offers over six compact models that would fit that have "front" controls. I know this from the Reimo catalog I just received. Dometic won't/can't import them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to, however. Does anyone know how an Electrolux refrgerator would be serviced here in the states? Importing an Electrolux is my first preference as it looks "authentic" and wouldn't require cutting an access panel on the outside. However, I'm concerned about parts/service (and 230volt conversion).

So what does the list think? Please send me pmail and I'll compile the answers into a cohesive whole. And if you really think I'm crazy for "ruining" my Westy -- let me know that as well!!!

Cheers,

<bold>Michael J. Sullivan

</bold><italic>Director of Catalog Design

Open Market, Inc.

</italic>

work: http://www.openmarket.com

play: http://www.hsdesign.com