Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 May 1998 18:45:45 -0500
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <bloss@mailman.enter.net>
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      Carlisle report
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Despite the rain for a good portion of the weekend, there was a decent turnout at the Carlisle, PA Import/Kit Car show. I would guess that there were about a dozen Vanagons (including 3 Syncro Westies, Jim DiGennaro's GTI-powered Westy, one artsy painted up diesel Weekender), 2 Eurovans (one Weekender, one 'bago) and about a dozen breadloaf vans (including a Chevy V6 powered loaf). There were some diverse other VW vans to be seen in the vendor area and the parking lot.

In keeping with the rebelious nature started at Transporters by the Tunnel '97, most of the LiMBO group camped out right on the showfield, even though we weren't supposed to. For future reference, try to get to the show while the registration booths are open, otherwise they'll slap you with a $20 camping fee (BTDT) and try to corral you into the sloped camping area.

Jim D apparently blew a valve seat on the way down and took some abuse for having a 3-cylinder van (of course, the same could be said for Bev with her low compression on #3). Someone else came looking for (and found) a 'loaf voltage regulator, and we did see one 'loaf leaving on a flatbed. Other than that, not mechanical events to speak of.

Saturday turned out to be a decent day after all (even some sunshine), and most people took off to see the vendors and displays. I managed to pick up an expansion tank from Jim D, but it turns out it was for a 1.9, so I turned around and sold it to one of the LiMBO people with a Digijet. (Hear that Jim, it was the wrong one.) There wasn't terribly much VW vendor stuff and most of that was for either Beetles or the rolling speaker and neon crowd.

We gathered for the potluck dinner around 5-ish with burgers, hot dogs, and the usual assortment of picnic foods (fortunately not everyone brought pasta salad). Dennis Haynes was grilled for expert Vanagon repair consultation Saturday night under the canopy while we had to endure the boom-boom of the lowered rolling speaker crowd. One idiot even bottomed out on a 1" pavement joint right next to our canopy.

Most people bugged out mid-morning on Sunday since it started raining again and a good number of people had a decent drive ahead of them.

Lots of VW chit-chat during the weekend and admiring each others' customizations, improvement ideas, some parts swapping (including a pair of new heads and an alloy wheel that are now as good as sold) etc. Dennis had one of his custom-made hitches along. I passed out a couple of PVC strut supports and even installed one on Pat's gorgeous burgundy Syncro Westy.

In all, a fun way to spend a weekend with VW people.

-Karl

Karl and Kristina Bloss, Trexlertown, PA '87 GL Weekender "Beverley" VW shop list: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops