Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 May 1998 11:16:38 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: "bucking"
Comments: To: karen brown <kpb@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU>,
          vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

This is a common problem...most likely. If you check the archives....other peolple refer to it as stumbling. For some, it only happens at higher elevation. The cures vary....they are (1) vw makes a special wiring harness that replaces the old one at the air flow meter that is designed to cure this... takes about 10 minutes to install....about $90, I think, but that is not always the problem; (2) cleaning the carbon track in the sealed Air flow meter (AFM) has worked for many and is free....don't ask the dealer to do this, he won't and will want you to buy a new one for hundreds instead...see the archive for the procedure...fairly simple; (3) replace your 02 sensor if it hasn't been for years (details in the archive)...make sure to get one from either the Old Volks Home or bus depot...or possibly volks motorsports cafe....for much less than 1/2 dealer price....about $25; (4) there is a small temp sensor near your thermostat that sends signals to the fuel injection...some have found this to be the cause...about $23 from a dealer or any of the above suppliers (5) it never hurts to replace an old fuel filter, but probanly not the problem.

When I had the problem, cleaning the AFM carbon track and replacing my 02 sensor cured the problem....for about $25 and 1 1/2 hour in my time. I would do those 2 first....then the temp sensor and then the wiring harness. If you have the problem I think you do, it may not appear again for months. Mine did it once....then not again for a year....then a couple times in a year....then it started getting more frequent and I fixed it. Usually, when it does appear, it will go away if you just pull over and shut off the motor for a few minutes. I'ver never heard of this stranding anyone.

check the archive or pmail me if you need more info. steve