Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 May 1998 11:53:58 +0300
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Smog check failed; Vacuum leaks
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

The Camper had to be checked for its CO readings last week. It was a too high CO proportion in the exhaust and the mechanic wanted to fix this and adjusted the CO reading by regulating the amount of injected fuel at the CIS fuel distributor. The idle speed was too high, and during lowering the engine dies. First suggestion was 'Vacuum leak, somewhere' and the camper missed the smog test.

I liked to fix the leak by myself, as I know best where the leak could be. First guess was to check the air intake manifold. This is the weakest thing I did during the engine swap. I took a bottle of starter spray I need sometimes for the Diesel during winter month. I sprayed carefully the outside of the airintake manifold, but the idle speed didn't raise. So, where else I can find a leak? Rubber connections at the throttle body, crank case ventilation hoses? Then I noticed a raising idle speed when I sprayed near to the fuel injectors. And it wasn't only one of them, all five took wrong air. I pulled the injectors and if I compared the sealing O-rings to the new one I bought next day, the old are hard, had some cracks and a shrunk size. I checked the injectors seats and I broke some when I pulled the injectors. I replaced all five sealing and seats. Price wasn't that high, one US$ for the sealing, another and a half for the seat, totally 15 US$ without work.

The camper was smog checked again, and the CO reading was adjustable in the range it has to be. Even the idle is fine, on acceleration the engine works only on four cylinders. The mechanic explains, that running a long time on rich mixture, the new adjustment have to be settled for some hundreds of kilometers. Then the CO setting should be adjusted again. But lets see, what happens during this week.

Any comments? Helmut '80 Vanagaudi