Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 May 1998 03:05:38 -0700
From:         Otmar Ebenhoech <Otmar@EVCL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A3 engine in Westie, Engine is in!
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

The 97 Jetta 2.0 engine does fit in the vanagon, sort of... :-)

I resufaced the flywheel, got a new disc, pilot and TO bearing, cleaned up a bunch of diesel oil from the oil pan and motor mounts and put the whole thing together. So now the engine is sitting in the 82 diesel westies compartment (stock diesel angle) and the intake manifold is right where the bed cushion should be :-(. Oh well, it's not too bad, it sticks up 1-1/2" above the rear deck. I knew this might happen but having bought the engine I figured there was no need to measure, it was going in anyway. I'll stare at it a bit more before I decide what to do about it. Three options that I see are:

1) Put a lump in the engine cover and hollow out the cushion. (easy) 2) Lower the engine (much of this bus will be converting to synchro so that may happen anyway) 3) Remake the intake manifold. There's plenty of room on the right/top of the engine. Would it hurt to have a welded steel tube intake manifold? It doesn't carry fuel so I figure it shouldn't make much difference what it's made of as long as the volume of the runners and chamber are the same.

As for option 2, I wonder how the synchros get all that clearance in the rear if it's basically stock rear suspension. Do they just have higher springs? I thought one reason why the syncro motor may be lower is to reduce the angle on the CVs in the rear. I can see that if I jacked up the non syncro as high as a synchro I might have a problem with the axle hitting the inside of the swingarm.

The good news on the fit is that the throttle body has plenty of clearance from the left wall. Also the stock exhaust manifold from the Jetta clears the motor mount by 1/4" :-) The header pipe will need much modification. There is vibration dampner or angle limiter built into the flex coupling that will have to move. The PS pump had to go to allow the funky diesel oil filler pipe to fit. I'd still like to figure a way to tension the water pump belt without giving up the multi V belt that runs the AC and alternator. I'm thinking it would be neat to make a pulley for the water pump that runs on the serpantine belt. It would be about a 4" diameter pulley and only have about 15 deg of contact. A larger pully with more contact would hit the motor mount and other things. It seems to me the water pump doesn't use much torque compared to a alternator or AC pump, does anyone know this for fact?

Input appreciated Have fun! -Otmar- 72(front),73(rear),76,78,82,87(parts) Stretch bus 82 Diesel westy turning into a hybrid electric Stretch Several EVs (Electric Vehicles) Have owned way too many VWs to list. :-) http://www.evcl.com/strvan/strvan.html http://www.evcl.com/Picprev.html Electric Vehicle Components Ltd. (650) 494-9255